So I'm feeling so very loney. Some websearching brought me here:
A few years ago Bob Greene wrote a column about the cruelty of children and described a shy 12-year-old boy who was given a card by his classmates that said: "THE MOST UNPOPULAR STUDENT AWARD: __\(his name)\__." The kid was crushed. Mr. Greene got a tremendous response from his readers saying they remembered similar times in their lives 30 and 40 years ago. One man wrote, "...whenever I am feeling down, I realize that inside of me that little boy still lives: the little boy who sat alone at home because nobody wanted to play with him." Others recalled the deep hurt, intense pain, and self-blame that they felt when ostracized by more popular classmates. They felt so ashamed, they couldn't talk to anybody about it. Between 10% and 20% of all children and adolescents, especially the poor, are lonely a lot of the time, not just sometime during the month.
I wonder how many of us have had similar experiences? I know I have been lonely all my life. I was teased like crazy when I was a child, and I never felt like I belonged anywhere. I was a chubby little girl, who got a really bad perm and wore funny looking clothes. I spent my recesses reading books while other kids played. Or I would play handball with other kids and hope they were okay with me playing with them. My entire childhood was about avoiding situations where I would get rejected or teased.
Of course, this has molded who I am today. Having never been in a relationship with someone I felt close to, I lact the skills to create intimite relationships.
A few years ago Bob Greene wrote a column about the cruelty of children and described a shy 12-year-old boy who was given a card by his classmates that said: "THE MOST UNPOPULAR STUDENT AWARD: __\(his name)\__." The kid was crushed. Mr. Greene got a tremendous response from his readers saying they remembered similar times in their lives 30 and 40 years ago. One man wrote, "...whenever I am feeling down, I realize that inside of me that little boy still lives: the little boy who sat alone at home because nobody wanted to play with him." Others recalled the deep hurt, intense pain, and self-blame that they felt when ostracized by more popular classmates. They felt so ashamed, they couldn't talk to anybody about it. Between 10% and 20% of all children and adolescents, especially the poor, are lonely a lot of the time, not just sometime during the month.
I wonder how many of us have had similar experiences? I know I have been lonely all my life. I was teased like crazy when I was a child, and I never felt like I belonged anywhere. I was a chubby little girl, who got a really bad perm and wore funny looking clothes. I spent my recesses reading books while other kids played. Or I would play handball with other kids and hope they were okay with me playing with them. My entire childhood was about avoiding situations where I would get rejected or teased.
Of course, this has molded who I am today. Having never been in a relationship with someone I felt close to, I lact the skills to create intimite relationships.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home