Dammit. I have an insecurity and I don't know how to shake it. Its not always apparent; it cycles from mild times to severe times, but its always lying at the heart of who I am. It's an insceurity that results in alot of distrust for people, people who could potentially be wonderful friends.
The insecurity is that on some level I feel worthless. I feel that the quality of who I am is so paltry that people will not consider me worthy of friendship and companionship.
I question why people do "nice" things. I question why people seem to like me. I usually dont believe them. I usually assume they aren't telling me the truth. I asume they are being nice to me because they are humoring me. I assume that they act like a friend becuase they are too much of a wimp to proclaim their true feelings for me. Or I assume they are nice to me exclusively because I am female and they are male.
Backing up, I really do know from a rational standpoint this is not true. I am a quality human being from many perspectives and I certainly have enfough worth that some people will find me sufficent material to be a good friend. I also can rationally see where these insecurities stem from. The failure to be succesfully integrated with my peers as a fat, shy, and funny looking kid; a very strict babysitter who had me under her thumb, never trusting me to be good on my own; and parents in a looming divorce, hardly ever considering me in the midst of their heated arguments.
None of this helps me cope with the problem I have. All it does is provide me a deeper understand of what the probelm is, but the actual soultion, the actual removal of insecurity and doubt is an operation that seems almost impossible to me.
The insecurity is that on some level I feel worthless. I feel that the quality of who I am is so paltry that people will not consider me worthy of friendship and companionship.
I question why people do "nice" things. I question why people seem to like me. I usually dont believe them. I usually assume they aren't telling me the truth. I asume they are being nice to me because they are humoring me. I assume that they act like a friend becuase they are too much of a wimp to proclaim their true feelings for me. Or I assume they are nice to me exclusively because I am female and they are male.
Backing up, I really do know from a rational standpoint this is not true. I am a quality human being from many perspectives and I certainly have enfough worth that some people will find me sufficent material to be a good friend. I also can rationally see where these insecurities stem from. The failure to be succesfully integrated with my peers as a fat, shy, and funny looking kid; a very strict babysitter who had me under her thumb, never trusting me to be good on my own; and parents in a looming divorce, hardly ever considering me in the midst of their heated arguments.
None of this helps me cope with the problem I have. All it does is provide me a deeper understand of what the probelm is, but the actual soultion, the actual removal of insecurity and doubt is an operation that seems almost impossible to me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home